Cornwall College are the Kings of Rural high school football again after beating defending champions St Elizabeth Technical High (STETHS) 2-1 in a pulsating, tension filled final at the Montego Bay Sports Complex on Saturday to cap a perfect 18 game win season.

After the disappointment of losing to Wolmers in the dying moments of the FLOW Super Cup final a month ago, Cornwall College were deservedly crowned champions a record 12th time and first time in 15 years after a dominating second half performance witnessed by a jam packed stadium.

All three goals came in the final 17 minutes of what was a tactical approach by both teams and as the fans were getting ready for extra time.

Jourdaine Fletcher finished off a two man move with man of the match Peter-lee Vassell to give Cornwall the lead in the 73rd minute while substitute Shavon McDonald scored what was a delightful second in time added on to confirm the win.

Demar James pulled one back for STETHS with a brilliant free kick from the edge of the 18 yards box deeper into stoppage time, but that was the final play of the enthralling final.

For the most parts, the game lived up to expectations with the coaches pitting their vast wits and knowledge against each other and pulling the strings from the side lines.

Cornwall College, 2016 DaCosta Cup Champions
Cornwall College, 2016 DaCosta Cup Champions

Cornwall started slow in the first half and gave STETHS several scoring chance and again in the second half but the red and gold ambassadors took over at about the 15 minutes mark in the second half and it was all over by then.

With the STETHS defence rocked back on their heels and desperately trying to clear their lines, Cornwall kept running at them and the break though came on the 73rd minute when Vassell dismissed two defenders on the right flank and found his teammate inside the 18 yards box and he had time to put the ball on his left boot and slotted it past the left hand of the STETHS goalkeeper Kenroy Wallace.

A minute into time added on McDonald scored his biggest goal of his life when he curled a shot from about 25 yards past Wallace as the Cornwall bench and supporters erupted.

STETHS earned a free kick on the edge of the 18 yards area and James who had carried the STETHS team in the last month, blasted it over the wall and past Jamario Hines in the Cornwall goal.