As Walker Cup quarter-finals continue today with two more games – By Livingston Scott Observer staff reporter Saturday, October 20, 2012

Wolmer’s Boys and Kingston College became the first semi-finalists in the ISSA corporate area schoolboy Walker Cup knockout competition after victories over defending champions St George’s College and Charlie Smith, respectively, at the Constant Spring Complex yesterday.

Wolmer’s came from behind to beat outgoing champions St George’s 2-1, while Dorvil Jackson’s 81st minute goal gave Kingston College victory against Charlie Smith.

The feature game between the two most highly-rated Manning Cup teams this season was not the most exciting, though the quality was high. St George’s started brighter and nearly went ahead after 15 minutes, but Andre Lewis’s effort hit the base of the post and rebounded into play. Wolmer’s slowly came into their own with Jaheel Hyde looking the most threatening, but it was national senior invitee Jorginho James who came closest with a rasping drive that goalkeeper Nico Campbell had to parry for a corner in the 26th minute. However, St George’s retrieved that ball and went straight upfield to score the opener.

Cordel Benbow started the play deep in his half, by releasing Lewis, who switched the play to Kendon Anderson.

Anderson then rounded his marker and crossed for the arriving Benbow to beat Amal Wright with a downward header from 12 yards in the 28th minute.

However, five minutes after the interval, Wolmer’s restored parity as Hyde collected the ball just outside the area, from a good build up, before driving a low powerful shot out of the reach of Campbell.

Then three minutes later, they jumped infront when Hyde was fouled deep inside the St George’s half and Jason Greenland’s free-kick found the head of national Under-17 forward Jason Wright, who headed powerfully past Campbell.

Kamario Osbourne had two great opportunities to extend Wolmer’s lead afterwards, but squandered both efforts.

But the champions were relentless to the final whistle, as they pressed the Heroes Circle school for the tying goal.

However, despite creating a number of good openings, Wolmer’s were solid throughout and held out for the win at the end.

Coach Ludlow Bernard said his team wanted it more and that made the difference. “These were two very good teams on display… but my players wanted it badly and were determined not to lose.

“St George’s came at us at the end, but our defence never let us down,” he said.

St George’s coach Neville ‘Bertis’ Bell said their two-year unbeaten run in schoolboy football had to come to an end sometime.

“This is the first time we are losing since 2010. I am disappointed because we didn’t start playing until we were 2-1 down,” he said.

In the opening game, Kingston College scored their first win over Charlie Smith in three meetings this season, thanks to Jackson’s strike.

Jackson, who came on as a substitute, picked up the ball just outside Charlie Smith’s penalty box, dismissed his marker before drilling a low shot past Romario Scott in goal.

Kingston College were the better team throughout the game, especially in the second-half, where Hakeem May and Allan Morgan wasted two great chances to go ahead before Jackson’s strike.

Kingston College’s coach Donovan Hayles, who was ejected from the bench by the match official, praised his players for a deserved win.

“No one gave us a chance, but I told them to believe in themselves and for them to come here and deliver is a good feeling,” he said.

His counter-part, Jerome Waite, said Kingston College were the better team on the day.

“KC looked more purposeful, while Charlie Smith played in spurts and it cost us,” he said.

The competition continues today with two more games at the same venue.

At 1:00 pm, Excelsior High take on Bridgeport High, and two hours later Jamaica College oppose Spanish Town Comprehensive High.

Read more:–KC-in-semis_12805366#ixzz29vxnOlHc