BY SANJAY MYERS Observer staff reporter – Sunday, September 23, 2012

FORMER National Under-17 standout Andre Lewis struck three times to lead title holders St George’s College to a 7-1 hammering of Cumberland High in the ISSA/Gatorade/Digicel Manning Cup Group C match at Winchester Park, North Street yesterday.

Lewis pounced in the sixth, 45th and 77th minutes to grab his treble, while Mark Brown (eighth), Zhelano Barnes (11th), Cardel Benbow (63rd) and Oshane Boothe (86th) completed the rout.

Kenrick Francis scored from the penalty spot in the 26th for the travelling team.

The moved win moved the Neville Bell-conditioned outfit to 10 points from four matches — the same as Hydel High, who whipped visitors Clan Carthy, 7-0.

Bell said he was satisfied with his team’s use of the ball throughout the one-sided encounter, even if too many chances were missed.

“We wanted to win this game and we got that, so I’m happy with the victory. I think we missed too many opportunities, but I think we knocked the ball around nicely,” he said.

His counterpart at Cumberland, Wayne Fraser, knocked the quality of the officiating but conceded his team couldn’t withstand the St George’s pressure.

“The team never followed the game plan… We came to contain the St George’s team, but that never happened… I was not happy with the refereeing because too many calls went in favour of George’s,” Fraser lamented.

In the other Group C encounter, Denham Town High turned back Dunoon Technical, 3-0, at the Edward Seaga Sports Complex.

With their first win of the campaign, Denham Town moved to five points, while Dunoon, who were suffering their fourth straight loss, stayed at the base of the standings.

Clan Carthy have four points from as many matches.

Meanwhile, former champions Jamaica College (JC) reclaimed sole-leadership of Zone B with a 2-0 win over Waterford at Old Hope Road.

National youth player Junior Flemming netted both goals for the Alfred Henry-coached JC in the second half. The result pushed the ‘Dark Blues’ to maximum nine points from three games — two more than Camperdown, wh drew 1-1 draw with St Jago at Bellevue.

In a lacklustre contest at Bellevue, the first chance fell to the home team in the 68th, but captain Triven Garnett lobbed over the bar from six yards.

Minutes later, however, Kevin Clarke produced a fine piece of skill to elude his marker before crossing for Rohan Scott who headed past former teammate Rashan Patterson in the St Jago goal.

St Jago levelled when Keino Allen was brought down inside the area after dribbling from inside his own half and eluding his marker inside the box. Romario Constant calmly converted.

Camperdown were reduced to 10 men minutes later when Romario Wards picked up a second yellow card.

Camperdown’s assistant coach Stanford Patrick said there wasn’t much between the teams and a draw was a fair result.

“It was a equal game and both teams deserve to share the point,” he said.

His counterpart Keith McTavis said after coming off a defeat against JC, they wanted a result from this game.

“We went down 1-0 but we showed the fight… and I’m happy for the point,” he said.

In Zone E, Spanish Town remained unbeaten in five games and lead with nine points, despite a 1-1 draw against lowly Jonathan Grant at Prison Oval.

However, St Catherine High jumped two places into second with eight points after Aveeno Mullings gave them a 1-0 win over Jonathan Grant.

Ascot and Holy Trinity, who have both played four games, are joint third with seven points.

Read more: